Problems with installer

Hi,

I’m trying to install TRIOS-Mia-RC1-Build_2015-01-08, and hitting an issue partitioning my disk during the install.

I’m trying to configure:

/dev/sda
—> /dev/sda1 - ext4 - /boot
—> /dev/sda2 - encrypted physical partition
—> /dev/mapper/sda2_crypt - volume group inside encrypted partition (vg00)
—> /dev/mapper/vg00-vol_root - lv for root partition inside vg00
—> /dev/mapper/vg00-vol_swap - lv for swap partition inside vg00

I can set all this up during the install, and all seems to go OK, but when I click apply, I just get a blank partitioning screen (see attached screenshot), and the following in the logs:

Loading module partdisks.front…
Unable to get a correct object/changes from /dev/vg.
Committing changes in /dev/sda
Committing changes in /dev/sda-1
Committing changes in /dev/sda1
Committing changes in /dev/sda2
Committing changes in /dev/sdb
Committing changes in /dev/sdb-1
Committing changes in /dev/sdb1

I have confirmed via the console that I can manually partition the disk in this way, just cant get the installer to accept this setup.

This same setup works fine with “stock” debian

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Hello & welcome! :slight_smile:

Did you try apllying changes after creating each of the VGs/volumes/mount points?
—> /dev/sda2 - encrypted physical partition ----- Apply
—> /dev/mapper/sda2_crypt - volume group inside encrypted partition (vg00) ----- Apply

That would help us to know where exactly does it “stops”… :slight_smile:

Did u try to setup partition without encryptions?

Hi Filip,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I’ve run the test again now, applying after each step.

It seems to die after you create the encrypted partition, and you then try and create a volume group on that partition (encrypted partition successfully applied, but vg doesn’t).

Happy to run any other tests you need, or supply any further information.

FYI, I’m really keen to contribute to TRIOS, but am finding the language barrier a little difficult.

Is there anywhere you can suggest I look for information about contributing to the project, which might be in English (or translatable?)

Cheers,

Hi Vladimir,

Just tried without encryption.

Seems that if I use standard partitions only, all works well.

If I use LVM, I hit this issue.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I’ll see what’s going on… :slight_smile:

@contributing:

Just fire up a new topic, and let us know how you’d like to help. :slight_smile:

@spOOn

Hi and welcome

We will try to reproduce the LVM problem…

I can’t test it on a real machine right now, however it works as expected in a VM:
Screenshot - 02232015 - 01:01:54 AM.png

Anyway, before digging further, if you didn’t allready, create a encrypted partition, apply and reboot.
It may be that for some reason LVM doesn’t record changes properly, or installer is not able to read them ( Unable to get a correct object/changes from /dev/vg. )…
Then, ofc, after rebooting, proceed with setting up the rest, and let us know how it went. :slight_smile:

Actually it doesn’t… I was to quick to reply ( took a screenshot and replied, without proceeding with installation )…
Anyway, there will be a ( hopefully ) fixed version landing in the repos soon, hang on :slight_smile:

Hm? problem with installer…

File descriptor 12 (/tmp/keeptalking.log) leaked on vgcreate invocation. Parent PID 5393: /bin/sh
Volume group “vg00” successfully created
File descriptor 12 (/tmp/keeptalking.log) leaked on vgchange invocation. Parent PID 5407: /bin/sh
0 logical volume(s) in volume group “vg00” now active
File descriptor 12 (/tmp/keeptalking.log) leaked on lvchange invocation. Parent PID 5413: /bin/sh
One or more specified logical volume(s) not found.
Unable to enable vg00. Ensure it’s not contained in a locked device.
Committing LVM changes to /dev/vg00/vg00-1…
File descriptor 12 (/tmp/keeptalking.log) leaked on lvcreate invocation. Parent PID 5482: /bin/sh
Rounding up size to full physical extent 1.83 GiB
Logical volume “vg00” created
Marking vg00 as inexistent because it appears empty

However, blank installer window resolved with refresh button :slight_smile:
pic3.png pic4.png

It was a small issue/fix allready fixed upstream ( we missed it somehow )…

@spOOn
Packages are rebuilt and added to the repo.
Boot the live, and update the installer:

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install linstaller linstaller-config-trios linstaller-frontend-cli linstaller-frontend-glade linstaller-modules-base linstaller-session live-config-linstaller
Then fire it up, it should partition like a charm :slight_smile:

Screenshot - 02232015 - 02:03:19 AM.png Screenshot - 02232015 - 02:03:48 AM.png Screenshot - 02232015 - 02:04:05 AM.png

EDIT:
There is a slight possibility that GRUB install will fail if/when installing to MBR. Also, lvm2 gets autoremoved… :mad:
Will fix everything tomorow. :slight_smile:

Hi Filip.

Works like a charm!

Thanks for the extremely quick turn around.

Cheers,

OK, so for anyone else hitting this issue, here is what I had to do to get this working.

Boot into the live environment
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
run the installer, and install your system, but do not reboot at the end
open a root console, chroot into /linstaller/target
apt-get install lvm2 (this seems to be missing from the install, and results in an un-bootable system - @Filip while you’re fixing some gear up tomorrow, you might want to add this…)
reinstall grub (update-grub then grub-install)
exit the chroot, and then reboot

After this, you should have a system with encrypted filesystem with lvm that boots successfully.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Great! :slight_smile: You’re welcome & thank you for sharing the how-to!

@grub:

Fixed.

@lvm2:

It actually exists in a live system, but for some reason apt marks it for auto removal, which happens near the end of the install process ( even if you chose to install on lvm volume )… :confused:
Anyway, I’m working on it, shouldn’t take too long… :slight_smile:

All done in v6.1.2~trios18.6 :slight_smile:

Anyone planning to use LVM, please update the installer prior to installation:

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install linstaller linstaller-config-trios linstaller-frontend-cli linstaller-frontend-glade linstaller-modules-base linstaller-session live-config-linstaller

Works as expected ( in a VM at least ):
LVM.png
Log: http://paste.debian.net/155972/

@spOOn

In case you have time & will, it would be great if you could reinstall TRIOS with the updated installer, to confirm the fixes. :slight_smile:

@Filip no problems, will run the test again now.

Give me an hour or so.

Cheers,

Awesome, thanks! :slight_smile:

Update:

Looks like a found another issue related to LVM :frowning:

When you install on premade volumes ( formating them without removing/readding ), everything goes as usual ( on the surface ), however installer doesn’t fill up the crypttab at all ( resulting in “volume group xyz not found/Unable to find LVM” & no pass prompt @boot.

If you remove the physical volume, then recreate everything & install = there are no issues ( I’m still getting the ^“not found” error, but password promt shows, allowing me to unlock/boot. Also, crypttab is properly filled. ).

Now for the “wierd” bits ( to me at least ):

1. Both Thunar and Installer fail to mount ( or unlock ) encrypted partitions. They both prompt for pass, accept it and then: “Failed… Operation was cancelled” says Thunar/Installer logs this:

0 logical volume(s) in volume group "main" now active Marking root as inexistent because it appears empty ## in reallity it's not empty, there's a previous installation on it. Marking swap as inexistent because it appears empty

1. If, after that^, you start the lvm2 service manually ( sudo service lvm2 start ) = everything’s fine, you can now mount the encrypted partition in Thunar and installer does it’s job = system boots…
  2 logical volume(s) in volume group "main" now active
  1. lvm2 service is not started, even after you start it manually, it stays disabled on the next boot ( which doesn’t cause any trouble on the installed system, however given the above, it’s obviously needed in live )

Summing it up, I say wierd, since I guess that all of the above should be automatic. However, since I haven’t really used LVM before I might be ( terribly ) wrong.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

In the mean time and in case somebody else, like me, doesn’t know about that and plans to install on existing volume(s):

– After unlocking PV in installer, fire up a terminal and run:

sudo service lvm2 start

then proceed as usual.

Hey guys, just attempted the install with the new packages, and this fails due to a couple of issues:

1. gnome-orca now seems to have an issue during upgrade (http://paste.debian.net/156143)

2. I was testing in a KVM guest, which had only 1GB of memory allocated to it, which meant that the aufs filesystem (root) was only about 500mb.

This was not enough space to upgrade the packages in the live install.

I then increase the memory allocated to the VM to 2GB (which in turn upgraded the aufs filesystem to about 1GB), which allowed the upgrade to complete, except for the gnome-orca error.

All this being said, I upgraded all packages I could and attempted the install again, and we’re back to the “blank screen” we were getting during the partitioning…

Perhaps it might be worth rolling a new ISO with updated packages?

Happy to help where I can with anything.

Will keep playing, but no luck so far.

Cheers,

OK, looks like this was a bad package in the debian mirror i was using.

Have tested against another mirror, and all is working ok.

So, just to recap, I’ve done a fresh install, updated the required packages in the live environment, on a new disk, rebooted, and all works well.

@Filip Ill test the install on to existing partitions shortly and let you know how I get on.

FYI, still have issues with the number of updates required in the live environment and the size of aufs, but as long as your system has 4GB+ memory, or you setup a partition on your real disk and mount as /var/cache/apt before doing the update, all seems to be working.

@Filip I’ve just tested doing another install, formatting the “existing” partitions, and am unable to replicate the issue you described above.

From what I can see, the only outstanding issue is the space required to perform the upgrade of the live environment (system needs approximately 4GB).

This is probably OK for most “real” machines, but most of my vms have far less than this.

Not a huge issue, but maybe we could look to roll some of the patches into an updated iso?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,